History & Staff
We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.
On June 10, 1917, N.O. Holberg established a mortuary in a building along Main St. on property that is now the parking lot of the Hub-Mac Shopping Center. In the late 1920’s, he moved the business to its present location at 251 Central Ave. S.
Following Holberg’s death in 1930, Oliver E. Peterson became a business partner with Mrs. Holmberg and the firm’s name was changed to Holberg-Peterson Funeral Home. In 1943, Peterson became the sole owner and 10 years later the name was changed again to Oliver’s Chapel.
In 1965, Ty Peterson, Oliver’s son, and Lee Holm, purchased the funeral home. They owned the business until 1991 when Jeffrey A. Nathan purchased Peterson’s shares and Holm’s shares were purchased by Nathan in 1996.
Extensive remodeling and additions have been accomplished at Oliver-Nathan Funeral Chapel over the years. The most extensive was done in 1971-1972 when a 180 seat chapel was added to the east side of the building. In 2002, the upstairs of the building was converted from apartments to office space, including an in-house print shop. The windows and roofing were also replaced in 2002. In 2004, the preparation room was completely remodeled.
Our Valued Staff
Jeffrey A. Nathan, Licensed Director, Owner
Jeffrey A. Nathan was born in Fargo, ND on February 8, 1963 to Dennis O. and JoAnn J. (Jensen) Nathan. He was baptized at the Pillsbury, ND, Presbyterian Church and confirmed at Wyndmere, ND, Lutheran Church. He grew up in Fargo and Alsen, ND. He attended school in Adams, Goodrich and Wyndmere, graduating in 1981. Jeff attended NDSU before transferring to Wayne State College, Wayne, NE, where he received his Bachelors Degree in Mortuary Science. He graduated with honors from the Dallas Institute of Funeral Service, Dallas, TX in 1985. Jeff made his home in Finley, North Dakota for three years. In 1987, he moved to Bismarck, ND and worked for the Boelter Funeral Home. In May 1990, he moved to Valley City where he worked for Oliver’s Chapel. In March of 1991, he purchased Ty Peterson's ½ share of the chapel and in January of 1996, he purchased Pam Holm's ½ share of the chapel. Jeff is a member of the Valley City Kiwanis Club, Valley City Optimist Club, VCSU Foundation & Finance Committee, V-500, VCSU Century Club, VCSU Board of Regents, and Eagles Club. Jeff is a member of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church. Jeff and his wife, Teresa, live in Valley City with her children, Grace and Andrew.
He has three children, Joshua (JoEllen), Valley City; Erica (Brian) Eggers, Apple Valley, MN; Amber (Carl) Pederson, Valley City; grandchildren, Jayden, Nora, and Britta Pederson, Brynn and Harper Nathan, and Nolan and Audrey Eggers; a brother Daniel (Nancy) Nathan, Kindred, ND and a sister, Wendy Mahler, Fergas Falls, MN.
Dennis Nathan was born in Fargo, ND, the son of Otto and Sylvia (Slater) Nathan. He grew up on a farm in Minnie Lake Township in NE Barnes County, ND. Dennis attended grades 1-6 at Minnie Lake School and grades 7-9 at the Grand Prairie Consolidated School. In 1960, he graduated from Pillsbury High School. He went on to attend NDSU.
In 1962, he married JoAnn Jensen, also a Pillsbury graduate. They were married at Baldwin Presbyterian Church in Pillsbury. He attained his BS Degree in 1964. Dennis began teaching in Alsen, ND in 1964. In 1965, he was named superintendent of school there. In 1967, he obtained his MS Degree in School Administration. They lived in Alsen until 1968 and then moved to Adams, ND where Dennis was superintendent and taught from 1968-1971. From 1971-1977, they lived in Goodrich, ND where Dennis continued his career as superintendent. In 1977, they moved to Wyndmere, ND, where he served as superintendent until retiring in 1996. In 1999, Dennis and JoAnn moved to Valley City, ND when he began working with his son, Jeff at the Oliver-Nathan Funeral Chapel.
Dennis is a member of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, where he has served on various boards and as an usher. He also belongs to the Lions Club, Elks Club, Valley City Area Retired Teachers, and several school administration associations.